Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hungry for Fall


Fall brings out the best in foods. Caramel apples, pumpkin pie, candy corn: just to name a few of my favorites. I once had a chef friend tell me that I was unusual because I loved both chocolate and earthy flavors (pumpkin, apple, cinnamon) since most people usually prefer one or the other. I just call it hungry. This week to further emphasis the letter "a" that has been the talk at preschool and to take advantage of fall's bounty, some friends headed to Boyd Mill Farm to let the youngsters pick apples. Early Wednesday morning a line of mini vans and SUVs overran the small farm and easily overtook the apple trees! For $5 a family, the very nice owner allowed our kids to run around picking until their heart were content and because they were pesticide free, they could munch on them straight off the tree. Lucy has been spoiled with her Pap's apple tree this summer, but she still enjoyed picking and seeing her friends.
Us watching the owner pick some pears off her old old pear tree.

Ellie Spotting a Big Apple
Also with weather cooling off, its making us crank up the fire pit in the back yard and linger outdoors after dinner. The first cool evening we had, we were ready for smores. And although all I could dig out of the pantry was mini marshmallows, they were still good!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmMMMm marshmallows!!! I think we're gonna do the same thing tonight.

Great pics, as usual- see you soon!!!