Monday, July 14, 2008

Big Brother to Be..and in other news...




Maternity Portraiture is probably my favorite genre of photography. It hearkens back to my college painting classes when I first became interested in the way human life creates itself inside another, and the outward changes it makes on a woman's body. However, it wasn't until I became pregnant myself that I truly understood how incredible it is to have it actually happen to you. I think now that gives me a better viewpoint when I am behind the camera and have an expectant mom in front of the lens. It wasn't until I had been doing maternity pics for maybe a year that I had my first experience with a mom of one, expecting baby two. That, folks, is a whole other ballgame. The first pregnancy is all about the mom, the room, the names, the car seat brand, the expensive maternity clothes and diaper bag. The second however, is a gift. Experiencing pregnancy with your child is totally different. Not only are you watching your body change, but you are watching the your baby turn into a sibling. I have found that most kids accept this with open hearts and complete willingness to take on that challenge. Now, I am not saying they don't ask when the baby is going back to hospital months later or try to pawn the baby off on friends and neighbors! That happens, too! But, there is a special bond between a pregnant mom and the first child. That's where the pictures above come in. Caleb will be the big brother to sister Camden early next month. He talked to her via the belly all during the session and informed me that she, too, likes the Wiggles.




And in other news of the week...Knox has had his first celebrity named after him. Now, as if people don't confuse me with Angelina Jolie-Pitt enough (I mean, the resemblance is uncanny, right?!), she had to go off and use my otherwise semi-unique boy name. I figure at least people will be able to spell it correctly now. Lets hope he doesn't turn out wacko and force my Knox to have to change his name to avoid any connections.

1 comment:

Sarah Barry said...

I just think about Lilly and how she will always be my first baby and how special she is going to be to Ava.