Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whole Hearted



Waiting at VCH
Our little Knox has his follow up today at Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital to determine whats been going on with that hole in his heart. First order of business was an ultrasound, which to any 18 month old is daunting-dark room, stranger, stick and gooey stuff...and stay STILL! Add to that the fact the child is Knox, who has serious stranger danger relflexes and the inability to stay still in any given spot, and you have recipe for disaster. The craziest thing is he laid still as I have ever seen him be, even sleeping! A statue. Frozen. For nearly 20 minutes. Dan and I just kept gazing at each other in amazement (afraid to speak or move for fear of jinxing it!). The cardiologist said later that the images they were able to get were amazing. Minute measurements were taken just because they could. My prayer during this whole ordeal was for God to guide the doctors and to help them do whatever they could to heal my child. I was fully prepared to allow God to work through the hands of a surgeon. It was by no accident that Knox lay there so still. That was proven when the dr. annouced (almost sheepishly) that he couldn't actually see the hole anymore. He could hear it, and could see the blood flow changes but as far as looking (even at those crystal clear images) he couldn't SEE it. The tissue surrounding it has begun to close it without intervention. Well, with out MEDICAL intervention, that is! Smaller hole equals no surgery.


Yay no surgery!

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is simply answering the prayers laid before him over the past six months. I know his phone was ringing off the hook, thanks to an amazing network of friends. I know that just this week another boxer was added to his corner of the ring. I know there are other things that I cannot see but know are there and I am good with just knowing. Be still and know that I am God.

So for now, we get to return to life as "normal" and wait a year. And truth be told, I'm not worried a bit. (except for that whole having to raise a boy until he's 18 part :-))

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh Rachel, that is WONDERFUL news. I can remember you telling me about a call from someone saying they truly believed Knox had been healed. It gave you such peace at the time. Isn't it amazing to know what you do today? What a blessing!!! Thank you, Lord!!!

Ashley said...

Rachel,

I am so happy for your good news today! I got chills as I read your post, b/c I too know that God has answered prayers sent up on Knox's behalf. Thanks for the update! We will be saying prayers of thanksgiving tonight that sweet Knox gets to avoid the O.R. Praise God!! See you tomorrow.
Ashley

Nikazy said...

That is awesome! God is so great!

kaycee said...

Rachel- I have so much to say about this- but I can't really say it YET. (does that make sence? of course not.)

Anyway-
I love you and your whole fam.

Love Kaycee

Robin Estep said...

Rachel...that is GREAT news! He is a little trooper! :)