Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Loving the Mall Santa.

I offer no shame in the love of getting the kiddos picture made with Santa every year. I love looking back at pictures of myself as a kid and seeing what I wore, how many times I cried, the meat department Santa at Kroger that my mom used in a desperate attempt to get my sister to sit in a santa (any santa's!) lap. This year I did request Dan go with me, because I had a sneaking suspicion that Knox would freak. He has a pretty sensitive "Stranger Danger" reflex. So, we hit up the mall and waited in line, rehearsing what Lucy would ask for (making sure it matched what was actually going to be under the tree!), and distracting Knox.


The Santa was very nice He held Lucy's hands and spoke directly to her. She answered all his questions, rattled off "Cinderella Magic Wand Computer"(sigh of relief from mom) and "car" for Knox. Then all of a sudden she froze, pulled her hands away, and jerked me down to the floor. Her eyes were so wide, I thought she was having a panic attack! She whispered in my ear, "look behind Santa!". Well, sitting perched behind Santa was an Elf on The Shelf, exactly like the one that has been "watching" and moving around our house. Santa saw this reaction and totally played along with a question, "lets see, what was that elf's name that I sent to your house..." of course Lucy exclaimed, "Lapa!" (don't ask about the name, I don't know either), and Santa replied, "Ah yes, Lapa, cute little fellow. You know he reports back to me every night and lets me know if you are being good...or naughty. " Lucy was simply awe struck. True Believing twinkled in her eyes. I totally wanted to slip Santa a fifty.


I had gotten to the point lately that I was afraid she was getting a little too smart for her own good, already asking questions about which Santa was real, and how our elf was just a doll and dolls can't have magic. I think now, she got back a little of that mystique that goes with the season. I plan on keeping it that way forever. Just ask my mom, Santa still visits our house every year!


As for the picture, Lucy did great. And Knox looks like he's going to puke. But he's not crying, so I am happy. Ah, memories.


2 comments:

kaycee said...

This is the best story ever! I love it! I wish I had been there to see Lucy's face.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you know that I keep up with Kaycee's friends by reading blogs--it's great!!! We just discovered "elf" through Kevin. His, Slipper, even sent a friend over to keep watch on "FarFar", who is trying to come up with a great name--maybe "Uff-da"! Have a wonderful Christmas.sasa