Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nest


There are many reasons that I love spending days with my kids, but pretty close to number one on the list would be the chance of being submersed in their imagination all day. I am pretty sure I could live smack dab in the middle of the trendiest art center of New York and still not even come close to knowing imagination like the inventive mind of my 3 year old. Now, there are times I raise an eyebrow and hope she's not going to be the kid in class that eats paste, but mostly I just bask in her ability to live with an untainted view.



Which leads me to the photographs...lately Lucy has been playing "nest". I think its inspired by the robin's nest we spotted in our front yard. All the pillows and blankets have been systematically disappearing from every room in the house as daily she constructs elaborate circular nests in order to play some version of mamma bird. On this day, she decided that Knox was to be the daddy bird and she would handle the nest building since "he's too little and doesn't know". He seemed to completely understand her madness and never once got upset as the circle of found objects began to build around him! I haven't yet submitted photos to the Whitney Museum of Art yearly competition, but give her time...that brain is bound to take her somewhere amazing.






My little chick-a-dees (as Ms Hickman would say...)

Here is the nest drawn out in case their genius surpasses your own :-).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

too cute- love the ms. hickman quip and the additional nest illustration. NOW i get it!! ;)

sweet, sweet family.

kaycee said...

Love this. So fab.

Danielle said...

This will confuse all readers because it has nothing to do with the nest, which was hilarious I might add! But as I was looking through all the photos, I found one of you and Dan at Kmart! The one of me in the brown and white striped shirt (in the high school collage) was from a trip to see you at the store! I have no idea...funny though!!! I'll send you the pic!